A look back at where the Yankees played their home games in 1921.
Checkout this video:
The Polo Grounds
The Polo Grounds was the name given to three baseball stadiums in New York City, all located in Harlem. The original Polo Grounds, opened in 1876 and demolished in 1889, was built for the sport of polo. The second Polo Grounds, opened in 1890 and demolished after the 1963 season, was built for baseball and served as the home of the New York Giants until they moved to San Francisco in 1958. The third Polo Grounds was built in 1962 and served as the home of the New York Mets until they moved to Shea Stadium in 1964.
The Polo Grounds was the name of three stadiums in Upper Manhattan, New York City, used mainly for professional baseball and American football from 1880 until 1963. The original Polo Grounds, opened in 1876 and located at Sixth Avenue between West 110th and West 112th Streets in Harlem, became obsolete in the 1880s due to poor construction and lack of acreage. The Polo Grounds was home to five professional baseball teams during its life span. It was also the site of the first game in National League history; on April 22, 1876, the original Washington Nationals defeated the Philadelphia Athletics, 6–5.
In 1921, the New York Yankees played their home games at Ebbets Field, located in Brooklyn, New York. The ballpark was home to the Brooklyn Dodgers baseball team until 1957.
The Yankees played their home games at the Polo Grounds in Upper Manhattan from 1913 to 1922. In 1923, they moved to Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, where they have played ever since. Ebbets Field was the home of the Brooklyn Dodgers from 1913 to 1957.
Ebbets Field was a Major League Baseball stadium located in the Flatbush section of Brooklyn, New York. It is known mainly for having been the home of the Brooklyn Dodgers baseball team of the National League, from 1913 to 1957, when the Dodgers moved to Los Angeles.
Ebbets Field was demolished in 1960 and replaced by apartment buildings.
Yankee Stadium is a baseball park located in the Concourse section of the Bronx, New York City. It served as the home ballpark of the New York Yankees of Major League Baseball (MLB) from 1923 to 1973, and then again from 1976 to 2008. The stadium hosted 6,581 Yankees regular season home games during its 85-year history.
The Yankees began playing in the Polo Grounds in 1913, but by 1921 they had outgrown that facility. They moved to Yankee Stadium, which was then located in the Bronx.
The New York Yankees began play in the Stadium in 1923, after playing their first two seasons at the Polo Grounds. Yankees owner Jacob Ruppert paid $2.4 million to build the Stadium and erect a 10-story office building on the site.
The stadium was designed by the architectural firm of Osborn Engineering, which also designed Tiger Stadium in Detroit and Fenway Park in Boston. It was modeled after the Colosseum in Rome and built with Indiana limestone on a concrete foundation. The playing field is 22 feet below street level.
The original dimensions of the field were 490 feet to left field, 510 feet to center field and 400 feet to right field. The distances were reduced in 1926, when right field was shortened to 375 feet and left field to 455 feet. The bullpens were moved from foul territory to beyond the outfield fences in 1970, when bleacher seats were added in right and left field, decreasing the distance to those fences to 344 feet.