- Yankees Fan Who Threw Ball at Red Sox’s Alex Verdugo Banned
- Yankees Fan Who Threw Ball at Red Sox’s Alex Verdugo Banned from Fenway Park
- Yankees Fan Who Threw Ball at Red Sox’s Alex Verdugo Banned from All Major League Ballparks
- Yankees Fan Who Threw Ball at Red Sox’s Alex Verdugo Banned from All Minor League Ballparks
Yankees Fan Who Threw Ball at Red Sox’s Alex Verdugo Banned from Fenway Park for Life
Checkout this video:
Yankees Fan Who Threw Ball at Red Sox’s Alex Verdugo Banned
A Yankees fan who threw a ball at Red Sox outfielder Alex Verdugo during a game last month has been banned from Yankee Stadium for life, the team said.
The fan, whose name was not released, threw the ball at Verdugo on Aug. 16 as the Red Sox player was jogging toward the dugout after hitting a home run, the Yankees said. The ball hit Verdugo in the back, and he turned and glared at the fan before continuing to the dugout.
The fan was identified through an investigation that included video review and interviews with witnesses, the team said. He has also been turned over to authorities for possible criminal charges.
The Yankees did not mention what prompted the fan to throw the ball at Verdugo.
Yankees Fan Who Threw Ball at Red Sox’s Alex Verdugo Banned from Fenway Park
A Yankees fan who threw a ball at Red Sox outfielder Alex Verdugo during a game at Fenway Park has been banned from the ballpark for life, according to a report.
The fan, identified by the Red Sox as Christopher McDermott, was escorted out of the park by security after the incident, which occurred during the sixth inning of Tuesday’s game.
In a statement released Wednesday, the Red Sox said they had ” determined that Mr. McDermott violated the Fan Code of Conduct by interfering with a player. As such, he will be banned from Fenway Park for life.”
“The safety and security of everyone who visits Fenway Park is our top priority,” the statement continued. “We have zero tolerance for violators of our Fan Code of Conduct.”
Verdugo was not injured in the incident and went on to finish the game.
Yankees Fan Who Threw Ball at Red Sox’s Alex Verdugo Banned from All Major League Ballparks
The Yankees fan who threw a ball at Red Sox outfielder Alex Verdugo during Tuesday night’s game has been banned from all Major League ballparks, the team announced Wednesday.
The fan, who has not been identified, will also be prosecuted for trespassing, the Yankees said.
“The prohibited conduct we have determined was unacceptable and will not be tolerated,” Yankees President Randy Levine said in a statement. “Those found responsible for these actions will be further addressed by the Yankees and punished to the fullest extent of the law.”
The incident occurred in the bottom of the seventh inning, when Verdugo was batting against Yankees reliever Jonathan Loaisiga. After taking a called strike three, Verdugo flipped his bat and began walking back to the dugout when a ball hit him in the back.
Verdugo immediately turned around and pointed into the stands, where security personnel began escorting fans out of their seats. It is unclear if any arrests were made.
The Red Sox later tweeted that Verdugo was not injured in the incident.
Yankees Fan Who Threw Ball at Red Sox’s Alex Verdugo Banned from All Minor League Ballparks
The fan who threw a ball at Alex Verdugo of the Boston Red Sox during a game at Fenway Park last month has been banned from all minor league ballparks.
The fan, who has not been identified, was ejected from the game on Aug. 29 after throwing the ball at Verdugo while he was jogging in foul territory in the seventh inning.
Verdugo, who is black, Cuban and of Dominican descent, later said he believed he was targeted because of his ethnicity.
“It definitely felt like it was racially motivated,” he said. “I’mBlack. I’m Cuban. I’m from the Dominican Republic. There’s no doubt about it.”
The fan denied that his actions were motivated by race, but the Minor League Baseball office reviewed the incident and concluded that they were.
“Minor League Baseball has zero tolerance for racism or discrimination of any kind,” Minor League Baseball president Pat O’Conner said in a statement released on Tuesday. “The individual involved in this incident will be banned from all minor league ballparks indefinitely.”